FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:35 am
pdx1M

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yammer
If that is what has been conveyed to DOT (which is what I think has happened) then United has lied to DOT. The 4 miles + taxes/fees price was displayed prominently before and after purchase, on the receipt, on the itinerary, etc.
Perhaps but realize that consumer protection is not meant to bankrupt or punish disproportionately random mistakes. Reality is that the DoT administration probably wants no part of an enforcement over something that has nothing to do with consumer protection as understood by the majority of Americans. If this interpretation provides them with a way to avoid a silly ruling in that regard I am sure they will take it. Then they will figure out how to provide common sense wiggle room for the future. I think this is a much more realistic view of the Realpolitik at work here. Fantasize all you want about what you'd like DoT to do but realize that punishment that is out of line with the violation isn't what things like DoT are about. Perhaps after the dust settles they will levy a wrist slap fine of UA for sloppy bookkeeping but that is likely all that will happen.