FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:30 am
Yammer
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I suspect that isn't how DoT is seeing it. They are seeing it (as does UA) as a billing error. Customer knew the correct amount, booked a ticket without sufficient miles, system error allowed ticket to process. Now canceled for insufficient payment. Note that if you had sufficient miles those were deducted per the published chart and the in process of purchase display. I understand that a lot of folks here don't like that interpretation but it seems to be a reasonably valid one that DoT can adhere to. Notion of increasing price or cancelling a correctly paid for ticket never even comes up in that world view. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that UA and DoT don't view it that way. And - it allows DoT to avoid a ruling it probably is loathe to make due to common sense issues. My guess is that one fallout of this will be some amending of the rules to cover cases like this one so as to make clear that obvious errors that any reasonable customer should have seen as such are not covered by the rules.
If that is what has been conveyed to DOT (which is what I think has happened) then United has lied to DOT. The 4 miles + taxes/fees price was displayed prominently before and after purchase, on the receipt, on the itinerary, etc.