FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:49 pm
gvol21

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by tom911
Let's take it a step further. Suppose the "glitch" allowed every F route in the world you can book with UA miles to be on "sale" for 4 miles? Would you expect UA to also honor that? How about if the revenue hit was in the hundreds of millions of dollars and their stock nosedived? You could have entire F cabins filled with 4 mile passengers.

We have a lot of happy 1Ks over at AA this year. I'm sure AA will appreciate the additional business from any UA flyers wanting to make the move. Don't expect any 4 mile award tickets, there, though.
Whose fault is this mistake? Time for United to update their infrastructure, then. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Yes, they'd have to honor it. If I had a million dollars and foolishly kept it on my person in cash, only to lose it somehow, would I still be responsible for the loss? Or would I say, "Losing that money would bankrupt me, there's no way I should be responsible!" Whether I lost ten or a million, blame still lies with me, for not being more careful. If United made a foolish decision not to more rigorously check its IT systems, it should live with the consequences. Unless United is Too Big to Fail

Last edited by gvol21; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:58 pm