FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:18 pm
mabramovich

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
I don't think it's fair for those giving UA a hard time about this. Award mileage requirements are clearly posted on their web site so this is an obvious erroneous error. Revenue tickets are a different story since prices constantly change and there's no set price.

I feel it's naive to believe someone is entitled to this ticket for only 4 miles and think UA has been nice enough to honor even tickets through July 21. While I'm all about getting things for free I think if you want to make complains to the DOT you are really just trying to take advantage of something you shouldn't have received anyway. It's like finding a million dollars in your account and shocked when the bank wants it back. Better off sticking with mistake fares since those will be honored. :-D

However, if you did already depart on your trip, congrats!
Well, in December, Aeroplan ran an F-for-J and J-for-Y promo, as you may know about. There, the award charts had the standard rates but lower mileages popped up when selecting flights. Granted, they weren't 4 miles, but they certainly weren't the standard rates. Aeroplan did not say anything about this promo (but eventually did acknowledge there was a promotion if you asked about it when calling in). So how are we supposed to know that wasn't a mistake but this one is? Could Aeroplan cancel whichever tickets are left and say "well, you know, we actually goofed and never meant to have a promo."

Obviously, I'd like to fly to HKG for 4 miles, but more importantly (well ok, not more), I'd like to see that the DoT actually protects us!