FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:22 pm
andyh64000

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Did you actually write that with a straight face?

Why not keep it shorter...

Dear DOT please let me keep my free tickets I scammed from united when I read about the last screen billing issue bug when a person didn't have enough miles to complete the transaction and number of miles they agreed to on all the previous screens.

Originally Posted by colpuck:18965891
On July 15th 2012 I purchased from United Airlines ticket numbers 016xxx and 016xxxx. These tickets were for myself and my girlfriend, MP, respectively. They were on United Airlines for travel from Phoenix Arizona to Hong Kong. Over four days after the tickets were issued United Airlines in violation of two DOT regulations unilaterally canceled those tickets. The cost of these tickets were 8 miles and $120.24 in “Taxes and Fees.”

First, United Airlines violated the DOT regulation that forbids airlines from canceling mistake fare tickets. United Airlines by canceling these tickets has forced me, if I so, chose to purchase these tickets at a higher price. DOT regulations forbid an airline from imposing post-ticketing fare increase. United Airlines by demanding that I pay more for these tickets is direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this practice.

Second, United Airlines is in violation of the DOT regulation that forbids an airline from displaying multiple prices for tickets and demanding the higher price. When I went to purchase these tickets two prices were displayed. I was charged in accordance with DOT regulations the lower price. Now, United Airlines over four days after the tickets were issued is demanding that I pay the higher price. This is in direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this action.

United Airlines has waived any defenses that would allow them to cancel these tickets. First, United Airlines has already affirmatively honored tickets issued at the fare as purchased. This was also done AFTER United Airlines knew about the mistake. This constitutes an affirmative act validating United Airline’s liability for these tickets that United Airlines is now illegally trying to disclaim. Also, this fare was validated not just by their automatic ticketing system “SHARES” but by telephone agents that were authorized to issue tickets on United Airlines behalf. It is well settled that businesses are liable for actions take on their behalf by authorized agents acting in the normal course of business. As such, United Airlines remains liable for these tickets as originally issued.

In conclusion, paper tickets belong to the passenger that purchased them. Because they are paper airlines cannot change them without physical possession of the tickets. Now with e-tickets they remain the property of the passenger but in the possession of the airline. This system allows the airline to abuse ticketing in order to shake down passengers for more money in name of a “mistake.” In the July issue of United Airlines’ in-flight magazine United Airlines’ CEO makes the case that airlines are “the most regulated deregulated industry.” The actions taken by United in this case show why that regulation is needed to prevent airlines from abusing the flying public.

As such, I request that the DOT open an enforcement action against United Airlines for the wrongful and illegal unilateral cancellation of the tickets above.

Thank you,