FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yellow fever vaccination requirements for Brazil
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:11 am
SoCal

Originally Posted by awardticket
From a non medical perspective but rather traveler experience, is it something they ask for in Rio when entering from say Peru?
-Legal requirements for vaccinations on entering a country are usually based on where you're coming from. I assume yellow fever is not endemic in Doha. You could confirm requirements with the nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate. Or perhaps the airline. If you show signs of illness upon arrival,you could be pulled aside to see a health officer. Not very common. From Peru, could be different IF one has come from an area where yellow fever is common. According to this site (http://www.aboutsaopaulo.com/travel/visas.html) one WOULD need to show a certificate coming from Peru, but Í don't know the veracity of the site (or how up to date it is). I'd contact the nearest Brazilian embassy, or PAHO (Pan American Health Organization). The consulate site mentioned above indicates Doha is not a problem but Peru could be.

-Getting a vaccination to go somehwere in Brazil where there may be yellow fever is, like getting anti-malarial prophylaxis, a recommendation. Up to you. Ask your doctor or a traveler's vacciantion clinic and also look up malaria (and yellow fever) at www.cdc.gov. For the Amazon, taking anti-malarial prophylaxis is, I believe, always recommende. Note that one health risk in much of Brazil is Dengue Fever, for which there is no vaccination. The mosquito that transmits it can be active during the day. The regular strain of Dengue is seldom fatal if treated promptly. The "hemorrhagic" strain is much more dangerous. There are currently many cases in some areas, including Ceará (Fortaleza). I've known people who have had both strains of Dengue. Nothing to fool with. If you feel ill (headaches, body aches, etc.), see a doctor (preferably private doctor; public hospitals are typically poor).