FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:14 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by teddy25
where should DOT draw the line on the size of the error, for honoring the tickets?

4 miles?
40 miles?
400 miles?
4,000 miles?
40,000 miles?

Will the people say it is unethical to travel on the 4 miles fare be ok with a 40, 400, or 4000 miles mistake fare?

you can NOT tell me 4,000 or even 40,0000 miles for first class round trip tickets to HKG is ethical if you think 4 is unethical. what is the difference if you know a big error made by the United's IT department?

would you have taken advantage of the error at 4,000 or 40,000 miles?

I just don't see any difference. going 40 mph or 50 mph on a 30 mph road are both speeding.
Good question! I'm waiting with bated breath for the naysayers' analyses!

Originally Posted by colpuck
Whatever is in their financial best interest. I don't trust united. If the DOT rules in UA's favor what is to stop them from calling any ticket a mistake. That saver ticket, nahhh they really meant to issue it at saver levels. that 80.00 fare nahhh it was really supposed to be 160.00.

Allowing UA off the hook once, will set the precedent for them make more "mistakes" (IE grabs for incremental revenue) in the future.
I hadn't thought of the saver vs. standard award, which would be the easiest way for an airline to abuse a "mistake" excuse. "Oops, that was the wrong award fare bucket loaded, your award has now doubled if you wish to pay, or you can refund it for no redeposit fee!" Would airlines deliberately go out of their way to do this? Maybe not. But if a programmer error could cause the 4 miles deal, it's certainly possible someone loaded the wrong award category availability.