FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Advice needed for Swiss/German Credit Cards
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:58 am
zan5hin

Programs: AAdvantage, Krisflyer, Velocity
Newbie Advice needed for Swiss/German Credit Cards

Hi, I need some help. I live in Australia and I am with AAdvantage, so I know about Oneworld and aussie credit cards, but not about Europe, or Star Alliance.

My girlfriend is from the Philippines, but she is a permanent resident of Switzerland and earns crazy big money. She speaks German and has assets in Germany, so can also apply for credit cards there too.

Anyway, she does not know anything about credit card churning, and is not a member of any hotel or airline loyalty programs. She is paying everything like mortgage and bills through direct debit. I want to help her change that.

I need some advice about what her best options are with signup bonuses and so forth, if she applies for two or three new credit cards immediately. Also, are there any blogs or websites like Frugal Travel Guy but that focus on European credit card deals?

I signed her up to Aadvantage this week because she was taking a return leg to Europe on Finnair, but I don't know if the best thing to continue with.

I would think hopefully a European AMEX card would allow her to convert into SPG and then into AAmiles, but if she has to fly BA to get to Asia and pay fuel surcharges, then maybe there is a better option for her. I personally like non-expiring miles like AA (with activity) or Delta.

Her travel pattern: LCCs and rail travel around Europe, and a trip to Asia 2-3 a year in Y on a full service airline with the best price at time of booking. Very rarely stays in chain hotels for business or hires cars. So hopefully with the right credit cards, just her normal annual spend will score some free long distance flights or accomodation.

Cheers!