FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Addiction to travel, travel writing and everything in between.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 pm
Zoui21

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Part 7.July 3rd, 2012
United Club
Washington Dulles Airport

The United Club was VERY different to the Star Alliance Lounge in LHR. First off, the food is a lot worse. As you may have read in dozens of other Trip Reports, this place has carrots, crackers and cookies. That’s the basis of it. No hot food, or even finger sandwiches like in most business class lounges.

The limited food choices at UC, didn’t manage to get a shot of the bar

Although the food selection is limited, the bar big, can't really comment on the quality of liqueurs. This bar actually has a bartender that comes with it. She was nice enough to go to the back to find me a Fanta. I later regretted this, as I saw the blazing orange coloured liquid spew out of the can. I forgot that back here in the States, Fanta is even more unnatural than usual.

A pretty empty lounge. Is this a good or bad sign? Blurry again... yikes.

A good benefit of this UC was that it actually had a very small amount of people in it. It was probably the time of day, but I got a great window seat to lounge in and make some calls. The wifi was reasonable, but occasionally would just stop working.

I watched the small Airbus’ taxi to and from their gates from my window seat, with a massive 767-300 looming over all of them right next to the window. The atmosphere in the club was quiet, so it was a nice way to spend an hour and a half before the final leg of my flight.

Plane spotting after switching seats.

I kept my eye on the timetable and around 40 minutes before the scheduled departure, I departed the lounge. I needed to walk from the C concourse to the AirTrain and then proceed to get off at the A gates. You want to guess which gate my flight was leaving from? Yep, A1 meaning this guy gets to walk to the last gate... again!