FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerBeek

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
upper deck (747) meal service issues

I don't have much experience flying UA 747s internationally, but last week I flew UA893 (SFO-ICN) on the upper deck (seated in 15K - roughly midway through the cabin) and encountered a whole host of meal service issues. I'm curious if these are related to sitting in the upper deck (which I thought was desirable) or particular to this flight crew.

- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively). Are the upper deck's entrees entirely segregated from those available on the lower deck? It would seem there should be some coordination between both decks when taking orders, no? I requested to pre-order my prior-to-arrival entree choice, but was told it wasn't possible unless I was a GS.

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs. Instead I was offered a refill of red wine with no offer to get the Port from downstairs. Are passengers expected to walk downstairs to get particular beverage choices?

- Pre-Arrival meal service - didn't begin until approximately 40 minutes before landing, just as we started our descent. By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals and only had the tray setup (with fruit, yogurt, and bread) remaining. It wouldn't have really mattered anyways, because three minutes later the tray was picked up before I was finished as the pilots requested the cabin be prepared for landing. Do they not cater enough pre-arrival meals so everyone can at least have something? Again, is this something specific to the upper deck (perhaps meal storage limitations?).

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts, though this seemed to be isolated to my seat and didn't affect the rest of the upper deck.

I don't mean to rant - just curious if this kind of service is the norm for those seated on the upper deck?

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Jul 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reason: typo