FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:44 am
flytoeat

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
High -- advance planning time. Thinking about a trip to NZ and Australia using Alaska miles.

My thinking is this -- we can be quite flexible and are planning this for March/April 2014.

Business class

LA or SF start point (we can get there from Phoenix on our own $)

to

Brisbane, Sydney, or Melbourne

return

Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland or Christchurch

1) Using Cathay Pacific
2) Using Qantas
3) Using Air Pacific

If Cathay Pacific the route is via Hong Kong to either Melbourne or Sydney
Return ideally from Auckland

If Qantas outbound to Brisbane, Sydney, or Melbourne and return from one of these cities.

If AP then outbound to Melbourne or Sydney (2nd choice) by way of Nadi and return from Christchurch or Auckland with a 3 day layover in Fiji.

Our schedule will be quite open ended and we've got a bunch of options.

So question 1 -- is this something that we can get or is the answer 'no' regarding business class (actually this past December we used AP for a NZ trip business class with miles so I suspect one way or another this can be done).

Question 2 -- is this sort of 'complex/compound' query more than I should ask the good folks at AS who have to search this? I've found their service folks to be quite good in the past.

Any suggestions as to how to go about this -- for that March/April time frame I know the call won't be made until April next year (which is OK -- we won't have the 120K miles each until the end of this year.

Oh, one other note, I figure to try to get Qantas Business class later next year to handle flights either round trip or one way to get to NZ.

1. Of course this can be done, I have done several trips using Alaska miles in business and first on Qantas and Cathay to OZ/NZ. I have also booked Air Pacific for others in biz.

2. You may get lucky and get a good agent at the partner desk who is willing to really dig and look for you. However, I recommend you do your own search.
Sign up for Qantas Frequent Flyer and you can see availability for all three airlines you mentioned.

Good luck, it can be done.