FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strange situation - F seat not needed, can I give it away
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:45 pm
Biggie Fries

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Whenever I board a plane and they scan my boarding pass, that's all they do. They never check for ID. Why can't your wife just use your boarding pass to get on the plane? I know technically they can check for ID, but I don't think it ever happens. And if it does, she can just say whoops and show her the coach ticket and board with that.
Originally Posted by mjfink
Well, that would be the best possible solution, but, it's dangerous. It means we'll have to check the luggage under my name; if she doesn't pull it off the bags will get unloaded and it'll be a real mess.
Having already offered up my drama, I have to say that I like GNRMatt's, and I'm not sure what the problem is. Why dangerous? It's just another version of my stageplay, except more of the action is taking place off stage. You both checked in, although not on the same PNR (see way below). You're a power couple with busy lives. Speaking of which: Good grief, you got called away. Except that no one has to say anything about this, unless for some reason the boarding pass scenario goes awry, in which case your wife just says, "Sheesh, sorry about that ... We had checked in when he got called away to [lame excuse goes here]" And if she still wants to go for the FC seat at this point, she can go, "Oh, wait ... does this mean that we, I mean I, no longer have the seat in First ?" and hope for some cross-gender gallantry or within-gender empathy depending on where the GA is situated gender-wise.

The virtue of this drama is that even if the GA finds the reason that your wife is standing there with his and her boarding passes to be dopey, your wife can always roll her eyes and say, "Well, that's what he told me ..."

But none of it will ever come to that because couples and families go through boarding with crossed boarding passes, or one holding them for all, all of the time .... It doesn't mean that the GAs never notice it, only that it would hardly trigger anything other than a shrug and a mostly white lie (see above, if she still wants to go for the seat).

Also, why does the luggage have to be checked under your name ? I thought you were traveling under different PNRs ? She checks in under her name and PNR. You under yours. Sure, she may have to pay to check her bag, but seems worth it for a good chance at an FC seat.