FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strange situation - F seat not needed, can I give it away
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:00 pm
Biggie Fries

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Wow, this is a hard one !

You'd think that there would be a work-around, but right now I don't see it.

In fact, I think you will almost have to do a little stage-play (assuming the timing of your PHL-DTW flight permits):

Check in and board together first, smiling at GAs and FAs and making it clear that although the F seat is in your name, of course your wife is going to use it ...

Get her settled in F and move toward the back, when -- gosh, you can hardly believe this, but you just got buzzed / paged for [your excuse goes here] and you need to leave the flight. And as you sigh, and apologize, and gather your stuff, you pull the GA (and/or FA to the side) and say, "This is bad enough as is -- you'll leave her up front, right?" (Plan B: You say nothing and hope that your earlier uxorialness elicits the proper reaction from the other players).

Then you dash off to the DFW gate (which I don't think needs to feature in the boarding and de-boarding drama).

Life's short. If no one comes up with a better solution, give it a try.