FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $1000 cruise award "costing" 45K ADDITIONAL POINTS beginning August 1, 2012
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:38 pm
aaupgrade

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rcross23
As I mentioned above, it isn't just the points for a cruise cert that people are getting upset about, it's a combination of the devaluation of points re: all-inclusive, raising hotel categories, etc. It will eventually get to the point where it just makes a lot more sense to stay at a Hilton than a Marriott, especially when you combine these devaluations with the price increases you mentioned.
The same thing happens at the other brands. Hotels change categories every year. That is nothing new. Some go up and some go down. This past year boat load of MR properties went from cat 4 to cat 5 because of all the cat 4 certs that were handed out from promos. FWIW, if you or anyone else new to MR and this forum hasn't stumbled onto this before, at Marriott category level is determined solely by award stay demand. I am sure many of those new cat 5s will drop to cat 4s in two years after all the cat 4 cert reservations made prior to the cat change are honored.

I agree that there are a number of benefits that have been withdrawn or devalued, but none have yet affected me as the best return on points is and always has been for hotel stays. I usually use points for cat 7 and 8 properties (I am at a stage in my life that I enjoy luxury), and in rare cases cat 6 - think Thailand, but for me usually rates are too good to justify using points. So with 7 and 8 props, the cat 8s aren't going up in value (yet) and while cat 7s might it is the nature of the business. Just like hotel room rates going up. I am really not that angry about hotel rates increasing, just surprised at those that are so upset about point inflation don't express the same disdain about price increases.

I figure sometime in the late 2010s we may see another major devaluation of the MR rewards program depending on the economy and other factors. I see an increase in number of points needed for stays and the addition of a new cat 9 level, much like the new cat 8 level was added back in Jan 2009 in conjunction with the last major devaluation. Fortunately competition will temper their desire to do this sooner. After all the last major MR devaluation happen a year after SPG and Hilton increased the points for their awards. People were leaving SPG and Hilton for Marriott back then. Life's a moving target and so are FS/FF programs. Just ask the UA 1Ks going to AA as EXP.