FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $1000 cruise award "costing" 45K ADDITIONAL POINTS beginning August 1, 2012
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:02 pm
rcross23

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Why isn't anyone complaining about the massive increase in cost of rooms? Is it because none of you pay for rooms with money out of your own pocket?
I think you hit the nail on the head here... There seem to be a lot of consultants and accountants on these forums, amongst other professions, where the business travel is reimbursed. Personally, about 99% of my business travel is reimbursed to me; there are only rare instances where I have to pay out-of-pocket for a hotel room. Therefore, while I am price conscious, in that we always look for the cheapest decent hotel in the area, we are not necessarily price sensitive. The job still has to get done, and the client is paying for the hotel, so we are going to stay where we have to stay. Now I have only been travelling extensively for about a year and a half so I don't know that I have really observed a large increase in price changes, but I know you have stated that you pay for pretty much all of your travel, so you are obviously going to be more in touch with such price changes, as you are surely more price sensitive than a lot of us are.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Sure, get irate because points for a cruise cert goes up, but squat is said about the meteoric rise in room rates. Am I missing something?
As I mentioned above, it isn't just the points for a cruise cert that people are getting upset about, it's a combination of the devaluation of points re: all-inclusive, raising hotel categories, etc. It will eventually get to the point where it just makes a lot more sense to stay at a Hilton than a Marriott, especially when you combine these devaluations with the price increases you mentioned.