FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are 23kg (50lbs) baggages heavy for you?
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 am
Katja

Originally Posted by hightide
No, I don't like lifting weights... not only is it boring, injury from the wrong move is likely, especially on an awkward left arm. For exercise, I swim and speed walk/jog... although my legs do most of the work, my arms are still exercising. Besides lifting weights, do you do non arm intensive exercises to improve your strength?
Originally Posted by DrTongue
Weights aren't your thing and I respect that; I feel the same way about yoga. However, I would argue that any activity carries some risk. The key is proper instruction. Then too there are bodyweight strength training exercises -- push up variants, planks, inverted rows, etc. Proper instruction is still needed, but these have the added advantages of being highly portable, needing either no or very little equipment, and (in generally) easily modified to increase the challenge without adding gear.
Agreed, proper instruction is key. Any trainer worth his/her salt will be able to teach proper form and avoid injury. But as DrTongue says, if weights aren't your thing, that's cool.

My other activities may not be too relevant to you as I am a wheelchair user. Besides weights (which I actually love and find very satisfying), I swim, handcycle and do wheelchair track and triathlons.

Last edited by Katja; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm