FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No more UA flights to Taiwan in November?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:13 pm
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 787fan
kinda odd to leave a 6 month gap like this ... i initially thought UA would actually keep NRT-TPE, considering how full it was the last time i was on it (granted, i was in Y)

UA is doing a heckuva job dismantling the NRT hub ... HKG became 738 .... TPE gone ... next thing you know BKK goes 752 with domestic F
My observation is that TPE-NRT is probably 60% Taiwanese and Japanese tourists - groups or individuals - and 40% connecting traffic. The former are not high yield and only a small portion of the latter are higher fare. So, it does make sense for the bean counters.

I just talked to the TPE office and they confirmed it. TPE ticketing office is actually a GSA (not UA employees). TPE airport staff are UA employees and they were told they will not be laid off.

Another problem now will be the commuting FAs - there are some Taiwanese FAs (used to have a TPE base) who commute to NRT.

Hopefully they will do OK when TPE-SFO restarts. Otherwise, I guess they will just put their code on EVA and call it quits.

Looking at the schedule, it does look like NH pushed back the TPE departure a little but still over an hour earlier than the traditional 1030ish UA departure time. Out of NRT, it is also earlier - more trouble if UA flights from the US are late.

These also appear to be the only NH NRT-TPE flights. The rest already moved to HND-TSA.

Now, the thing to clarify is that NH flights to TPE are actually operated by "Air Japan". There is no native "Air Japan" code on these flights (these are NH). I hope UA does not find a way to not award RDM/EQM/COS Bonus for TPENRT.

Last edited by username; Jul 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm