FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did Southwest Airlines really have an airplane reposessed?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:31 pm
OPNLguy

Originally Posted by mkjr
interesting. i recall being told that a very small judegement creditor had a JAL 747 latched up in Alaska on a re-fuel since JAL failed to pay on the judgement the person had...it might not have been JAL but the point is, there are many types of creditors out there than can resort to this type of action to seize assets by order in cases with entities fail to pay. i recall the judgement need not be huge to take some rather extrodinary enforcement proceedings.
I Googled the guy's name (Nick Popovich), and one of the hits was a pretty nicely detailed article in Salon from a couple of years ago on his outfit and the work they do. The article mentions he has something like 60-125 folks out in the field who work with him, and I imagine most of them are pilots, since Popovich certainly can't fly everything himself. I suspect that it's this same cadre of pilots who also end up ferrying retired airliners to their desert parking spots when they're not actually repossessing aircraft for financial purposes, which (as per the article) seem to be mostly general aviation type aircraft, bizjets, and a few airline-type aircraft operated by non-airline entities.

http://www.salon.com/2009/06/06/lear_jet_repo_man/