FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:58 pm
J.Edward

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
What I'm curious about is what in SQ's systems allowed this to happen?
Another factor might be StarNet - the platform which acts as a go-between for the various IT systems of the *A carriers.

To that end, if a carrier request inventory on another *A carrier and StarNet reports a seat exists, that inventory *must* be honored for a set period of time (in most cases I think this guarantee applies for a matter of minutes to allow a CSR to locate seats/awards, sell them into the PNR, and que it up for issue.)

So in our case, *if* UA queried StarNet for SQ award space, and *if* StarNet confirmed the request and UA subsequently sold the award and issued the ticket, I would *guess* the rules of the alliance require the tickets to be honored. (However I certainly stand to be corrected!)

That said, I don't know the details, I don't know how a system migration will affect the "normal" rules, I don't even know if SQ itself sees the reservation as their systems are still in flux, but regardless of what happens, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.