FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy Vacation With a 77 Year Old
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:46 pm
MissJoeyDFW

Originally Posted by slawecki
venice is fairly flat, but it does have bridges. the boat is easy. florence is flat. only one bridge to cross. rome is built on 7 hills, but most of it is on the filled in swamp and river. when we stay in rome, we make a point of staying on the top of a hill. take a taxi up there a couple three times a day, and walk downhill. most train stations have porters. not that expensive. some train stations use an underground pass through, and require steps to get to the train. blq is built like this venice is not. rome has an escelator. do not hesitate to use taxis and porters. will only add hundred euro or so to the trip.

the "hill" towns should be avoided. a lot of them are built on the side or the top of a mountain. montalcino comes to mind. they do not have sidewalks, only staircases, and no taxis.

barcelona is also a good choice. flatland, or the tour bus.
i'm 75, and just got my pacemaker.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am open to going to Barcelona. My Aunt is remarkable healthy but she does have some mobility issues due to knee replacements. I just need to make sure I plan well. When we were in London I did some exploring on my own when she was tired but for the most part she kept up, at her own pace of course.