FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US$200 stolen from my room in Marriott Reforma, Mexico City
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:41 pm
BKKLEE
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
one of my pet peeves with AC by Marriott in both Spain/Portugal (didn't try them yet in Italy) was that they had no in-room safety boxes............

unfortunately you learned a big (expensive) lesson here, but cash is fungible so unless you go around and record the numbers on the bills don't think you'll get anywhere with your claim as proving you had the money would be a pre-requisite to alleging that it was then stolen

at least with a laptop being left in the room which is obviously to big for an in-room safety box, as per moderator, he'd have a bill of sale, warranty or other document with prooof of purchase along with laptop serial # to show that he actually had the item so that a claim, whether it be with local cops or for insurance, could be established............

Originally Posted by Milkman
Stayed 5 nights in Marriott Reforma, Mexico City in end of June. One day, I forgot to "hide" a considerable amount of USD in the save or at least not leave it visible for the staff who would enter my room during the day (cleaning, mini bar check etc).

Came back in the evening, the amount was still there, intact. Put in my backpack, in a seperate room, and zipped it up. Pretty invisible.

However, when I counted the money the morning I was to leave the hotel, 200 USD were missing. Went through the entire room, emptied the back pack, but it was gone.

I reported it to the front desk staff and they called the security manager. He started investigating, and had an employee taking me to the district attorney so that I could report it for insurance matters.
The security manager emailed me over the weekend, telling me he was still in the process of speaking to the staff who had had access to my room.

I really dont expect anyone to confess that they have stolen 200 USD from a guest room, and I doubt I will get anything from insurance or from Marriott, as the money was not put in the safe box.

Question; has anything similar happened to anyone here? What did you do, and what did Marriott do to solve/better the situation?