FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Rewards Forum
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:20 pm
AAerSTL

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
Yes, I believe a consolidated forum to discuss all things Ritz-Cartlton would be beneficial. As it is discussion is distributed throughout Luxury Hotels and Marriott Rewards, with some redundancy, duplicate threads, and other inconsistencies. I think it would be useful for those like myself only interested in Ritz-Carlton related discussion to have a place without needing to sift through endless Marriott Rewards and Marriott property related threads.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
Yes, I believe so for the same reasons as stated above. I'm do not have an affiliation with Marriott or the Ritz-Carlton to know if they will leverage such a forum but I know a little bit about the social media initiatives the individual hotel locations have used. Perhaps this is something they would consider adding in the future.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
Discussion is already taking place on FT, clearly there is an interest. Since the Ritz-Carlton and other luxury hotel chains are increasingly leveraging points based rewards and recognition programs I believe this is an FT worthy discussion.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
I would say so. Some luxury hotel guests prefer the Four Seasons, but I'm a very loyal Ritz-Carlton guest. Been a lifelong guest and have fond childhood memories at the St. Louis and former Boston location. Over the years I've traveled to nearly 20 properties worldwide and consider myself fairly aware and knowledgeable of their properties, amenities, and the rewards program.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
I would say so. As it is discussion is spread across various areas of FT, and I believe a single forum would be superior to a hodge podge of threads throughout various forums. Ritz-Carlton is opening many new properties throughout Asia and the Middle East, and is also pursuing other growth opportunities.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
I believe it would be better than what we have now. Allow Marriott discussion to focus on Marriott properties, Luxury Hotels to center around with non-RC and point related discussion.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?
Splitting the forum would be an acceptable alternative IMHO, but a separate forum altogether would be ideal. It would take some adjusting and possibly moving threads around but ultimately I believe it would be an enhancement for FT readers seeking Ritz-Carlton related discussion.