FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Time Share Presentation:AC J/Y, OZ F/C, CA Y, TG F/C/Y, LH F/C, Maglev, Renfe AVE
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:30 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Asiana Airlines
LAX – ICN (Los Angeles Tom Bradley International Terminal – Seoul Incheon International Airport)
OZ 201 – First Class (F)
01:10 PM – 06:10 PM +1
May 5, 2012
Booked: Boeing 747-400
Flown: Boeing 747-400

I’ve found that you can always tell where they are in boarding as to how many people are standing around as you approach the gates. In this case, we hadn’t missed a piece of the action since people were spilling over into the hallway and most of the gate chairs were occupied by patient families and children.

Gate 121 – Tom Bradley International Terminal.

We found the First Class line, which was the same as the Business and Asiana Diamond Tier line. Unfortunately it snaked down the hall away from the gate. There were about 50 of us in this line waiting to board. Those that have previously complained about too many Top Tier Frequent Flyers would have the same complaint here. It was a little deflating.

We were so far away, like the infinity effect, we couldn't see the gate - “Priority Boarding Line” for First, Business, Asiana Diamond.

The advantage of being so far down the hallway from gate 121 is that it allowed for some great Boeing 747 pictures to be taken of our ride to South Korea.

Our ride: Asiana Boeing 747-400

Once the boarding started, the 50 of us in the premium line were given first crack at getting on board. When the line started moving, it was surprisingly speedy. On my flight, the ground staff did take the long stub part of the boarding pass which was unfortunate for those travelers like me looking for a First Class Stub as a souvenir.

We immediately turned left after the gate podium and we were immediately welcomed into the familiar and comforting beige Asiana First Class cabin. After several months of reviews, research and seeing all the pictures, finally being in the First Class cabin was like meeting a movie star. When you finally meet them, they’re much smaller in person!

Persuasive Beige. I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.

On our seats were the Bulgari Amenity Kits and a cello wrapped blanket. As we setted in, I started to take in all our surrounding. I happened to notice that all our flight attendants were immaculate. Their appearance was near perfection: cleanly pressed attire, hair tied back, perfect manners- it was like we had arrived in a fashion show of perfect-ness on board this 747.

Our flight attendants immediately came around with PJ’s on a silver tray. I asked for an XL and she didn’t have one on the tray. The XL’s were a good fit for a 6ft 2 tall person with an athletic build. Ms WT73 got a medium and it fit her quite well as a 5ft 3 inch woman with a slim build. We were both happy we chose one size larger on the PJ’s.

The load was 9/10 tonight with 3 cabin attendants taking care of us. We were unable to get side by side seats together, partly due to me leaving seat selection on our ticket to 6 months before departure. Another Hollywood couple (he was reading a script! Is this normal?) was also seated on the outer flanks of the cabin one behind another like we were. There was one dead heading pilot in uniform, and another male who partially occupied one of the seats- then disappeared after the two meal services, and didn’t stay with us for the duration of the flight.

Asiana was delayed in pushing back from the gate today but I certainly didn’t mind. Our flight attendants offered us beverage and I asked for champagne. I received the first and last “No” of the whole 24,000 mile F experience. I was politely explained that due to Custom’s regulations, that they couldn’t offer champagne while the plane was parked on the ground with the doors open. As an alternative, they brought me a water in a glass to start. Indeed, within about 30 seconds of the heavy clunk of the cabin door being closed, and without me asking for it, a champagne flute was placed on the table next to me, and a glass of Taittinger Comte de Blancs 2000 was being poured elegantly and delicately.

This was a pour of near perfection in cabin service.

One unfortunate thing that I have found across several carriers is that the first or business class champagne and white wines are never chilled at the right temperature. They seem to usually have been chilled for 1-2 hours and they have that slightly colder than room temperature taste to it, similar to when you put that bottle in the freezer at home and it is opened not quite cold. Regretfully, this was no exception on Asiana, which in my opinion is a shame considering the amount of capital investment they spend on their food and beverage which can be seen in the quality of their wines.

One of the joys of traveling to somewhere foreign is that you get the opportunity to see aircraft that you don’t usually get to see at home. Taxing to the south runways, passing Tom Bradley International Terminal, I had the opportunity to take some photographs of carriers that don’t make it to my home base of Vancouver, BC.

Once we were airborne, menus were passed out. We were quickly headed west, leaving the Pacific Coast behind.