FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reborn! Southwest is matching Frontier status and up to 50k miles (Wisconsin only)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:19 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ssk1127
I tend to take a different view here - I think F9 has a right to be angry and cut off the loophole, and charities end up as the big losers. WN should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting a beneficial, charity-oriented program for business purposes. It's sleazy, and in my eyes, knocks WN further down the ladder towards being just another greedy corporation. They should apologize to the charities they've caused to miss out on the opportunity to transport people in need.
My feelings are a little mixed on this. WN is a business and I understand them trying to win over the Milwaukee passengers, especially seeing that F9 was transferring miles to Delta.

This tactic assured WN that people wouldn't have miles to use on F9 if their accounts were emptied out. However this backfired and unfortunately the biggest losers right now are the charities.

Seeing that WN is now doing the match I think it would be a good PR move on both airlines if F9 reinstated the program (a lot of the people doing the match would probably rather keep the miles than donate them) and also for WN to agree to donate a certain amount to the charities they support based on the number of miles they match.