FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Procedures vs. Federal Prison Procedures
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:27 pm
Schmurrr

TSA Procedures vs. Federal Prison Procedures

I was curious about how TSA procedures compare to federal prison procedures, and I found a U.S. Department of Justice Program Statement about searching, detaining, and arresting federal prison visitors.

I am not sure what to make of it. Some of the procedures are scary close to current TSA procedures. Others suggest where TSA could be going (or might already be, given how much information TSA has shared about its procedures). If it works for prisons, it will work for airports, too, I suppose.

Some excerpts of interest:

Notwithstanding staff authority to conduct random searches, staff may also conduct reasonable suspicion searches to ensure the safety, security, and orderly operation of Bureau facilities, and protect the public. “Reasonable suspicion” exists if a staff member knows of facts and circumstances that warrant rational inferences by a person with correctional experience that a non-inmate may be engaged in, attempting, or about to engage in, criminal or other prohibited activity. ...“Hunches,” “gut feelings,” or “mere suspicion” do not meet the reasonable suspicion standard. However, they support continued observation, investigation, and questioning that may provide information needed to meet the reasonable suspicion standard.
Visitors failing to clear a walk-through metal detector must be searched using a hand-held metal detector. Failure to clear the hand-held metal detector may qualify as reasonable suspicion to perform a further pat or visual search.
You and your belongings may be pat searched either randomly or upon reasonable suspicion. A pat search of your person or belongings involves a staff member pressing his/her hands on your outer clothing, or the outer surface of your belongings, to determine whether prohibited objects are present.
Visual searches of persons may only be conducted when authorized by the warden upon reasonable suspicion that the subject is engaged, or attempting to engage, in prohibited activities, including possession of prohibited objects. ...A visual search of your person involves removing all articles of clothing, including religious headwear, to allow a visual (non-tactile) inspection of your body surfaces and cavities.
Persons refusing to submit to or comply with authorized Bureau search procedures will be denied entry to Bureau grounds and facilities or required to leave. Depending on circumstances, such persons may be detained or arrested, either by Bureau staff, or by local or Federal law enforcement authorities. Warden authorization is required before taking any of these actions.
The prison procedures also allow for searching of vehicles and drug testing.