FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Automated turnstile boarding
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:05 am
bankops

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by emma69
How does an automated boarding gate verify that you are the passenger (ie looking at you in comparison to your ID?)
Why does it need to? In the US, only the TSA checks you once you're in the sterile area. In Europe they tend to be a little more retentive about it, but even then I have boarded flights in Brussels and in Frankfurt without showing my ID to anybody.

Originally Posted by emma69
Given that there is so much online check in - it will basically mean that no one will look at your ID when getting on a plane - isn't that going to cause a) security issues and b) problems for the airlines when someone boards a flight without the relevant visa / paperwork etc.?
as stated above: "I have boarded flights in Brussels and in Frankfurt without showing my ID to anybody." How many people do you think the name game has actually stopped, that should have been stopped? My guess is zero. If I am a known terrorist, you really think I can't get my hands on a fake id or passport. Please. Only the TSA think that it works so no issue there.

I beep all the time in AMS with a "check docs" message and that isn't at an automated gate. Sometimes happens in MUC at the automated gates, for non-schengen flights. OLCI for many airlines now (for potential visa destinations) require you input information before. LH will even store it in my profile, but as a dual national that doesn't help.