FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP! Luggage allowance for two non-linked tickets DFW to LHR to SIN
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:43 am
ernestnywang

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by tareke
To all you travel Gurus. I need help. I live in Singapore but frequently go to the US with my family and end up buying lots of US goodies to bring back. I have a family of 4 and would like to bring back 8 bags (2 bags per person). My trip to US this year goes through London and to save money I bought 2 separate tickets. 1 on Qantas from SIN-LHR and second round trip on AA from LHR to DFW. I found out on Qantas site that both AA and Qantas allow only 1 bag each for each trip but Qantas allows 2 bags if the itinerary shows US. On AA, it's unclear what they would do.

ON way back from DFW to LHR, I'm worried that AA will charge me 4 extra bags. I'm also worried that Qantas will charge me for 4 extra bags from LHR to SIN (I'm staying in London for 4 days on way back).

How can I "LINK" the 2 itineraries so it shows a single itinerary. It should be clear the airlines that I'm ending my trip in the US and starting in SIN, which should allow me to have 4 bags each. But I don't know how greedy these airlines would get in this situation.

I'm hoping the following helps me somehow
1) I'm a lifetime gold member on AA (but my family members have no status)
2) both airlines are one world

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by tareke
"How can I "LINK" the 2 itineraries so it shows a single itinerary. It should be clear the airlines that I'm ending my trip in the US and starting in SIN, which should allow me to have 4 bags each. But I don't know how greedy these airlines would get in this situation."

I meant 2 bags each (total 8 bags).
I see very little chance of you not getting charged for at least 3 extra bags (your GLD status might give you 2, but AA may not grant you it since you are transferring to a QF FLT). Both your AA E-TKT and your QF E-TKT shows 1 piece, which is the only thing the check-in agents see. In addition, since you bought separate TKTs, airlines (even if with in the same alliance) has no obligation to give you anything extra bacause you are continuing on to another FLT. In fact, even if you had bought only one TKT, the bag allowance remains 1 piece, as 2 pieces is only applied in QF's case to QF's own FLT to the U. S.

Code:
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01  
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG  
 SIN  
XLON QF  M   01OCT MNA2SG          01OCT 01OCT 01P  
 DFW AA  M   02OCT MNA2SG          02OCT 02OCT 01P  
XLON AA  M   01NOV MNA2SG          01NOV 01NOV 01P  
 SIN QF  M   02NOV MNA2SG          02NOV 02NOV 01P  
FARE  SGD   3125.00    
TAX   SGD     13.90SG SGD      8.00OO SGD    691.50XT  
TOTAL SGD   3838.40  
ADT-01  MNA2SG