FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - At Bush airport, TSA tries out device that targets fake IDs
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 am
Critic

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
I thought of this as I traversed the checkpoint yesterday where my boarding pass said LASTNAME/FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME (no space). How will the machine read this compared to a boarding pass that just shows LASTNAME/FIRSTNAME?

What about people with hyphenated names where some IDs or systems support the hyphen and others treat it as a space?
That's my worry. I have a hyphenated first name, totaling 12 characters (including the hyphen). Airline systems don't support the hyphen, and the NJ MVS computers only support 9 characters in the first name field (and no special characters), meaning that my first name is incomplete on my DL.

If this proves to be an issue, I may have to start traveling with my passport card (which I got specifically because they were able to print my full name correctly, hyphen and all.)