FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - registering visitors staying at private residence
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:53 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
How long is your family staying? If it's anything less than 2-3 weeks I'd take my chances and not even bother going to the local fuzz. In the extremely unlikely event you get popped, claim ignorance and talk your way out of it.

Also, you say you register with the police every time you return from overseas. If you are on a residence permit, which I assume you are since you are working, you don't have to do that...only register once, then you're done.
First paragraph: Just No. Not in Beijing at this time. Maybe in some other cities you could do this, but the general atmosphere of crackdown in BJ right now does not favor this strategy. For 1-3 days, maybe one could get away with, but not more. They need to be registered.

Second paragraph: Correct, sort of. Normally, people on residence permits do not have to re-register with the PSB upon return from outside China, as long as nothing else (passport, residence, etc.) has changed. However, certain subdistricts do insist on re-registering, even for those on RP's. Again, mostly I've heard of this happening in Haidian Qu. When tried in most areas of Chaoyang, the police just look at you and your RP like you're nuts and say "go away." Only for those L's and F's are they willing to do the paperwork shuffle for each re-entry. Much of Haidian is different though.