FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:01 pm
tonywestsider

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by WHBM
BEA indeed never had any 748s, firstly because they had a huge Viscount fleet that progressively got handed down to the short runs (which BA did, eventually, convert to 748s), and secondly because BEA had bought a few of a competing same-sized type that came along at the same time, the Handley Page Herald. This was another 50-seat turboprop, that looked more similar to the F27 because it was high wing. One of its features was a pronounced wing dihedral that looked like both the wings were pointing upwards at 45 degrees - well, bit of an exaggeration, but it was certainly noticeable. Handley Page only built some 50 of them, several made it to Canada and South America but I think I'm correct that none got onto the US register. Rolls-Royce Dart engines again, what a hit that product was for Rolls.
So based on WHBM's post above, I am going to pose a question(s) that is hopefully, a interesting one that I'm pretty sure a number of you will rush to answer:

1.) Identify another airliner of a similar size, which resembled the Handley Page Herald, or for that matter, the F27, which came from the same era?

2.) What country was this plane made?

3.) What were the powerplants utilized for this plane?

4.) What U.S. airline flew this plane and in which part of the country?