FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Policy regarding switching seats on international flight after boarding
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:24 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EricP0418
So to keep it short, I am about to order a pair of tickets for my girlfriend and me to go to Norway to visit some of my family. The main leg of it is going to London, then a short flight from London to Stavanger. The tickets will be for the later part of August, and will most likely be with British Airways in the economy section but I am not 100% sure if I will be able to get two seats next to each other. I was just wondering if anyone has experience in switching seats with another customer on a BA/International flight? if so, were you successful? and what method did you use? Just ask a Flight Attendant while you're boarding?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and sorry if this is a common post, I just found this site after searching around for helpful forums about this kind of stuff. I'll delete it once I've gotten a few good answers so I don't get in the way of other stuff!
You can see what seats are available on the flight before you purchase it, on ba.com you go through the booking, enter names etc. and then you can pre-reserve seats ($10 per leg I think for that distance). That way, you get to sit together (assuming no equipement change, etc!)

Asking once on board is a recipe for disaster, especially as the seats are likely to be 3-3 to Norway, meaning if 2 people are sitting together, they will want to stay together, and if you don't reserve seats, you could both end up with middle seats far apart, and no one is going to want to swop their aisle or window for a middle seat, nor is it fair for you to ask.