FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SDQ - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:50 am
wierdo

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
Originally Posted by cauzinruwkiz
Will be traveling into Santo Domingo on Dec 6, 2012 - Dec 18, 2012.
Prefer an intermediate or larger car.
Ive searched through all forums and found very minimal information for SDQ.
Could be any rental company.
Anyone know of any promo codes which I could use?
First, keep in mind Avis in the DR, as with all of the other major brand companies are franchisees. They will honor whatever price you get on the website with your AWD, though. I was not asked for ID to confirm the AWD when I (tried) to rent in Santo Domingo last year. This was at the office on George Washington, not out at the airport where it is more expensive. (a taxi into town is only a couple hundred pesos at most) I ended up not renting from them because they wanted a not-previously-disclosed $2500 deposit unless I bought their LDW, despite using Amex with the addon insurance. I believe the Dollar franchisee is more reasonable on the deposit, but all the rental companies "charge" one here.

Do be aware that people drive pretty crazy here (I say here because I happen to be in Santo Domingo at the moment). Red lights are just a suggestion to most and the lane stripes are worth even less. Also, it is very congested in Santo Domingo.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the rental companies are all sticklers about damage. If you're going to rent after dark, bring a flashlight and go over the car with a fine toothed comb unless you want surprise damage charges at the end. Even at the rental locations in the US where they've bothered with looking for minor damage I have not seen such close examination. It almost seems like they get commission on the damage charges...