FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where can I buy a MetroCard for AirTrain in JFK?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:12 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by aztimm
I found a Metrocard that I bought while in NYC last year. Expiration date 9/30/12, so it should still be good. I've looked through the MTA website but I can't see a way to do the following--

* see if/how much is left on it
* add to the card

I'll be going to NYC in a few weeks, flying to JFK with my other half, taking the airtrain to subway, and taking that to our hotel in the financial district (the NYC Conrad). Ideally, it would be great to have the card all set for us both to get from JFK into the city...any way to do this online?
No, but this should not be a problem. When you get off the AirTrain at either the Jamaica or Howard Beach terminals, proceed to the Metrocard vending machines before passing through the fare gates. Select "Refill Metrocard" from the on-screen options. You will then be instructed to insert your Metrocard. When you do, the screen will display your current balance. If the balance is sufficient for your purposes, press "Cancel," and the card will be returned to you; otherwise, select an amount that you want to add, and pay with cash or debit/credit card.

The whole process should take about one minute.