View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 12, 2:15 pm
pongben

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
AA Award: LAX-JFK (stop)-HKG-PVG legal?

I was just able to put the award booking below on hold, all in 1st class, for 135k AA miles:

1) (AA118) 8/26 7:am - 3:30 pm LAX - JFK
2) (CX841) 8/27 10:05am - 8/28 2:05pm JFK - HKG
(KA808) 8/28 4:55pm - 7:30pm HKG - PVG
3) (AA182) 11/25 9:45pm - 5:15pm PVG - LAX
4) (AA32) 12/2 1:45pm - 10:05pm LAX - JFK

I'm really excited I got the JFK-PVG portion in first (even on the HKG-PVG Dragonair segment!) but am running into some confusion about my stopover rights.

I was able to get a stopover in LA on my return, but also want one in NYC (i.e, fly LAX-JFK a few days before the 27th). However, the EXP AAgent told me I'm only entitled to one stopover and couldn't do one in NYC since I already had one in LAX on my return (so she gave me a < 24 hours layover). I'm pretty sure that's wrong and I get one stopover each way, so I want to call in again to see if I can change the LAX-JFK date to an earlier one.

HOWEVER, I'm also not sure that my flying LAX-JFK-HKG is a legal awards routing either, so I'm afraid to call in again and possibly lose that segment. In fact, there was some problem with the pricing when I made the booking and the AAgent had to clear my itinerary with the rates desk.

Does anybody know if I'm normally allowed to book LAX-JFK-PVG? Should I call in again to try to get the stopover or just be thankful for the itinerary I have? Would especially appreciate advice from anybody who's done a similar booking. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by pongben; Jun 11, 12 at 4:28 pm