FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:30 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Oh, sybarites

I've only seen pictures of it. If I ever got there I would make sure I wore swimming goggles against the debris blowback, and be certain that everyone with me is a good swimmer in case you get blown back into the sea.

Then, afterwards, up for one of those rum punches. Or two.
Well, hey, we were on vacation! Rum punches and the Caribbean just seem to smoothly go hand in hand, you know!

There are also several rather large concrete curbs on the small roadway located between the end of the runway and the beach at SXM. One is in the middle of the road separating the traffic and the other separates the road from the actual beach sand. Recently, a young lady standing by the perimeter fence behind a departing aircraft did get blown airborne but did not make it to the beach. She instead landed head first on the concrete curb. I'm not sure if her injuries were serious but I think it's really not a good idea to stand behind departing jetliners at SXM - plus, one would also receive a rather unacceptable amount of sand in the old rum punchy!