FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Prefered seats out of control
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:42 pm
ag30075

My family could not fly together either - 6 and 8 y/old

It is really stressful traveling with kids, especially with Delta. I think it's terrible that Delta is following this profit only and insane strategy - I hope something happens (even a regulatory something). My story - booked a flight ATL-MCO (2 months in advanced) for May 24th departure, selected one window and one middle seat - for husband and 6 year old and another window and middle seat for me and 8 year old, towards the front - row 25 or so. 48 hours before the flight Delta switched my seat selection to window, middle, aisle, aisle about 10 rows behind my original selection. 24 hours before flight -when I received the it's time to check-in email - they changed my seats again:
22F, 24A, 25C, 33F - scattered in the plane. I was furious! I called customer service and talked to agent and sup - they said there is nothing they could do as they need to increase revenue. Arrived at the airport to check in and when my 6 year old asked if we were seating together and I said no, he started crying (how fun my Disney trip started thanks to Delta). At check in I paid $9 for an aisle seat close to me for my 6 year old so he can stop crying - so we ended up 24A, 24C, 25C and 22F. How is this better than what I have originally reserved? I had originally reserved 2 premium seats and 2 middle seats and I was happy about it and now Delta ended up giving me 4 premium seats - and I was not happy as my kids were not sitting by me bothering other passengers somewhere else. I am sure the passengers by my kids were not so thrilled either and we took 2 premium seats (aisles) that we did not want (2 middle seats for the kids work for us).
How can this make sense? how is it sane to think that kids are better of flying with strangers?
This is the second time that Delta does this to my family vacation. I am thinking that someone should step up for families - is it too unreasonable to want to flight with your kid by your side? what a terrible service we are receiving by this industry!
In the flight back they changed my seats too! again I booked window, middle row 24 and window middle row 32. Ended up window, middle, aisle, aisle row 32 - not so bad for me but is this really better for Delta (again 3 premium seats for me versus the 2 I requested)...
Flying again in July - booked 2 months prior - I am already stressed out about the sitting. This one is an International flight and the customer service rep told me that they will likely change my seats because I booked so early - it really does not make any sense to me. I booked early because I want to select seats that work for us - and Delta tells me that booking so early increases the chances of my seats being change...
any advice on my upcoming trip and the nightmare with the seating?
Terrible!