FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best *A Carrier for UA Award Travel to China in F from NYC
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:41 pm
ORDnHKG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by atcguy

Lufthansa First looks to be a phenomenal product.
New F only, especially on the 744.

If it is old F on LH I would rather take UA new F.

Originally Posted by nycua1k
If you go through Europe, don't you need to redeem 2 awards to get to Asia? I think you have to get the most direct routing. UA has always charged me two awards for going to Asia through Europe as going through the Pacific is considered the most direct route. You should double check that.
This is a practice PMUA had. However, since new UA is using CO SHARES system, therefore you can go to Asia from US thru Europe with one award, same amount of miles like going thru TPAC, as PMCO can always use TATL to Asia from US without MPM.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
OZ has great F availability, NH not so much (out of NYC that is), nor SQ.
OZ has great F availability but OZ also has the most blackout dates of all *A carriers, and the blackout dates are different from US to ICN and ICN to Asia.

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt

I just tried a couple of different dates and didn't see any LH in any class - do you get this by doing a multi city and forcing through FRA?
You won't see anything especially if the LH flight is 744 or 380 unless it is short notice like less than a month out, or more like 2 weeks.

You don't need to do multi city or forcing through FRA, but try to find out all the gateways LH has from US to FRA/MUC first (rule no.1: be flexible on dates, also be flexible on routings, you may need to make an extra stop or two to get what you want), then look for the flights separate like US to FRA/MUC, then FRA/MUC to Asia to see what comes up, if you find something then piece by piece together, rather than just search US-Asia. As the past November I did ORD-HKG thru FRA, NRT, and BKK. There was nothing if I just search for ORD-HKG, and it only shows routing thru TPAC, however when I search for JFK-HKG then tons of flights comes up, and even more options when I search JFK-FRA, then FRA-HKG separately. After I got all the routings for JFK-HKG, then I called UA to find a way to link ORD-JFK together, in the end the agent find me a better routing going thru IAD in UA F instead of LH C JFK-FRA.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 5, 2012 at 12:06 am