FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New award structure for intra-European/intra-Caribbean flights
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:11 pm
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I just did sample searches. Did about 15 different European routings, three different periods, different dates. The results are systematic on the search engine: C = 3 x Y within Europe (LHR: 10 -> 30 each way, FCO: 12.5 -> 37.5 each way, ATH: 15 -> 45 each way). From his post above, I think JOUY31 has clearly done the same booking attempt on ATH and got the same fares - and reached the same conclusions as me: as he says, I'm not happy and would much rather pay YQ/YR. Similarly, I interpret Gajan's post a bit earlier as confirming the same pattern.
This is what I am seeing too. I must confess that this was precisely what I feared would happen if they moved to a YQ/YR integrated system: massive increase in redemption rates. Awards have moved from being merely unattractive to being set at a level that only makes sense for people who simply do not know what to do with their miles (a bit like the F ground service redemption mileage level). This is bordering on lunacy.

I fear they may be playing with words if by the minimum number of miles they mean the amount for Y (which is indeed unchanged). Again, would love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
The amount for Y is not unchanged as such: the minimum level is unchanged. however, some flights have higher requirements in Y. Ditto for C: levels are variable, but with the minimum level in C being 300% of the minimum level in Y. As far as I can see, the miles required in C can be anything between 300% and 600% of the minimum Y rate. On some flights, CDG-ATH in C can be 90K miles each way.

This is so preposterous that I am not sure whether to laugh or cry.