FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New award structure for intra-European/intra-Caribbean flights
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:07 pm
Richelieu

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I just did sample searches. Did about 15 different European routings, three different periods, different dates.
OK. I thought you had seen more information. I confirm what you saw, as I see the same.

The results are systematic on the search engine
I also looked at Economy booking. I am seeing availability everyday for SXB-LHR at various rate (10,000 to 30,000!) in Y. So it seems to fit the bill: while most day are available at 10,000, the regular rate, there are some days with 12,500, 15,000, 20,000 and 30,000. Apparently, the engine can access extended/modulated inventory with increased miles.

Like you, I would love to believe that it is a glitch and that they have just not loaded the full range of miles-fares for C but I very much doubt it, and as such, I think it sounds like a rather bad joke.
With business, on the other hand, I only see 30,000 (and plenty of availability), so I still guess it's not the new basis (I'd expect to see some days without availability).

Also note that in the extract you quote, they say 'the MINIMUM number of miles required to book a classic award remains unchanged' while others have been revised. I fear they may be playing with words if by the minimum number of miles they mean the amount for Y (which is indeed unchanged). Again, would love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
You're reading is as good as mine, unfortunately. But really, 90,000 miles for return CDG/ATH is a joke if this is the new "basis" rate. What would be the point? It's so ridiculous I am giving them a few day to update their systems before jumping to the conclusions. They are on the right track with their handling of Y tickets, why shooting themselves in the foot with ridculous C rates? It's not like it would make the prodct less exclusive...

Last edited by Richelieu; Jun 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm