FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:04 pm
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
This quiz is geared towards those of us who actually enjoyed reading the OAG as a serious work of non-fiction.

1. Although most airlines flew between Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale with 727s and DC-9s, this airline offered twice daily DC-10 service. Which airline was it?

2. This airline offered twice daily nonstop 747 service between Chicago and Miami.

3. Daily 747 nonstops between Chicago and Montreal were offered by this airline.
Seat 2A -- Well yes, I did spend a lot of time with OAGs, mostly the International edition and the corresponding fare manual (what was it called?). Business took me to far away places, and in the days of regulation I would look for ways to use the "miles" you paid for, using hidden cities, obscure routes etc. Sort of a precursor to today's mileage runs, but without all of the computer aids.

Anyway, I'll start by answering three of your questions (I too have old OAGs):
1. NW
2. DL
7. TW -- the flight was SFO-LAX-LHR-ORY and return -- I'm not sure why it didn't start in LAX -- perhaps you know why.
Also, besides PA, NW also ran a 747 between SFO and LAX with conditional stopover traffic only.