FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Destination: Best amusement park in Europe
Old May 30, 2012, 12:42 pm
exbayern

Going back to Disneyland Paris, it's a matter of taste. I like it better than both American resorts based on their current state. Rather than rewrite I revised a post I wrote in another thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...patient-6.html If you do vote for Disney, there are lots of tips in that thread on how to find the best rates. I also don't like the mania around the US parks online, and how so many people seem determined to scam and cheat their way around the system. That doesn't seem to apply in the same fashion for the French parks.

Here is why many Disney fans on American fora say that DLP is rubbish:

- They don't speak English all the time. Er, the park is in FRANCE. Virtually every CM speaks French and some English, many speak better English than you or I, and I have twice met one who struggled with French.
- The shows are in Franglais. Again, the park is in FRANCE. Shows may be in Franglais with rather seamless transition back and forth, or some shows such as the Stitch presentation are in different languages at different times of the day. Most rides are in Franglais or French and English, or have no narration. Announcements are at a minimum in French and English
- The breakfast at the hotels are 'bad'. The breakfast goes well beyond a typical French breakfast, and while not a German breakfast buffet and not the standard of Europa Park hotels, is quite good. Breads, rolls, jams, Nutella, yoghurt, muesli, cereals, coffee, juices are above and beyond a typical French offering, and in the better hotels you can upgrade to an 'American' breakfast of hot eggs, etc
- The parks don't sell much clothing merchandise. That is to the local taste; most visitors are from various countries in Europe, where character t-shirts wouldn't be worn in the normal course of the week. Clothing is also very expensive with very high VAT rates in most countries, so spending money on something rarely worn isn't that common.
- The rides are different than at WDW. Yes, they are. Many are far better than at WDW and are now actually being adapted for the American parks
- There isn't typical American fast food. Again, the park is in FRANCE. There is typical European fast food/fair food such as waffles, gelato, sweet popcorn, etc and an attempt at some American items too. And there is McDonalds and Starbucks right outside the park for those who insist on American fare, and Ben and Jerry's is the ice cream brand served in the parks. But the sit down restaurants tend to be much nicer and better food than in the US parks
- There are fewer strollers. For me, heavenly. I have a photo of one of the peak days in August, most popular children's ride, with one stroller parked outside. Most people don't have their children in strollers at age 3, 4, 5 and certainly not 9 or 10 as I read on American Disney fora. It makes for a much easier experience getting around the park for everyone
- There are male cleaners in the women's bathrooms - HORRORS! That is common in France and Germany, and frankly sensible as it saves on costs to have one cleaner for both sides
- There are often military at the train station with guns. Yes, we have a long history of terrorism in our part of the world (far longer than in America), and that is a reality. The RER/TGV station was purpose built for DLP but it is still a French railway station, and it is part of the real world

Then the complaints go on to the cultural stereotypes ('the French are rude, the Italians don't queue, everyone smells', etc) DLP is much more like DL used to be 20 or 30 years ago, with few strollers, no overly organized character 'meet and greets', and a distinct lack of signage ordering one about and warning one about every tiny danger.

I really think that the non-US Disney resorts are now very different and unique from the US ones. Part of it is cultural differences, but also the quality of the US parks and hotels plummeted in the past decade, as prices rose to outlandish levels. I strongly disagree that DLP is more expensive than the US counterparts.