FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very Disappointed in Hyatt Diamond status so far
Old May 29, 2012, 5:04 pm
sophiegirl

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Caan12, echo Richard in SF's welcome to FT.

As a Lifetime Marriott Plat, I can (somewhat accurately ) compare the programs and properties..

Marriott is consistent. Overall you get good service, and as a Plat problems are handled quickly and well. There are definitely more of them, and they are often priced better than Hyatt. Overall, I agree you cannot go wrong there...I certainly have the years and nights to prove it!

I find Hyatt Diamond worth it
....Because Marriott no longer offers weekend breakfast at FS properties, and has never offered it at resorts. That perk alone makes it worth it when I am traveling with my family. (actually, the breakfast in Key West alone would insure I keep Diamond status!)
....Because I like Hyatt Resorts better than Marriott Resorts, and find my treatment at those properties generally better.
....Because I truly could care the least about suite upgrades on a regular basis, especially when I am traveling alone. When they ARE important, I have my upgrades. In fact, a Park Hyatt is allowing me to use TWO at once, so I can treat some friends, too. I love that!

BUT - like you, I do not like Hyatt Place - think they are gloomy and agree with your comments about the dark colors.

Marriott has some detriments that affect the bennies I care about. The BOGO program is gone, and was handled poorly. The mega bonus offers are not that "mega" - especially when you have to use a Marriott card and cannot do so. I do not like the 1/2 points received at Res Inn or TPS - Hilton Homewood trumps those, and Hilton Garden Inn definitely trumps CY...while FI is better than HInn IMO. BUT - Hilton point redemption is insane, a detriment to their entire program.

Only you can decide which bennies mean the most to you and your family.