FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International (TATL/TPAC) OP-UP vs. SWU
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2012, 9:26 pm
SoraAoi

Originally Posted by NewYorkMoscowFlyer64
This story is ridiculously sick.

Basically, you wrote in to complain that you did not get what you paid for, and Delta's response was that Delta is sorry you did not get what you paid for -- you were supposed to receive it, but Delta employees stole it from you.

Did Delta offer to return to you what Delta employees stole from you? Either Delta should (a) refund to you the difference between the discounted fare that was available when you bought your ticket and the B fare you paid -- OR -- (b) allow you to use an SWU for an international upgrade when you travel on a fare class below YBM. Otherwise, you paid for something and Delta says they gave it to you, but an employee stole it and too bad -- which can't possibly be allowed to stand in civilized society.

The difference in price between a YBM fare and a discounted fare not eligible for the waiting list is ginormous. The ONLY reason to pay such an enormous differential when the lower fare is available is to get the upgrade or get on the waiting list for the upgrade. Delta basically is charging people huge amounts of money to get on a waiting list, and then Delta's employees are stealing from the people on the waiting lists. That is serious money being stolen -- felony serious. If this situation is being permitted by Delta management, then Delta management is either corrupt or congenitally incompetent.

Maybe i am misunderstanding the story here -- but if i have it right -- this is not run of the mill usual outrageous.....it is honestly truly outrageous.

I feel for you, OP.
I am sorry, I omitted one thing -- I was compensated. I should put "compensated" I quotes because all I was given is 9,500 miles. Other than that, the story is accurate to the letter, no exaggerations, nothing hidden/no information withheld, so you understand it correctly, I think. I agree thatit is outrageous. Of course, the official position is that it was a mistake, nothing else (I am not surprised by that; even if there's any kind of internal investigation, the outcome will not be shared with me. Standard for any large company). Formally speaking, no policies were probably violated though. Oversell is a special situation.