FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Creepy Starwood Stalkers-Edina MN Westin
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012, 9:39 pm
whimike

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
You make a profile on a public social networking website. People will look at it. You cannot seriously have any expectation of privacy there !?!?

Best you can do is lock down your privacy settings so that random Facebook users can't see your employment status amongst other things.

To put my comments into perspective: Every year I donate to the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I am connected to a 256bit encrypted VPN connection, just sent several encrypted e-mails and don't fly to countries where they fingerprint people for fun, so I am all about privacy.

What would cross the line for me is if they made a fake account and friended me to see my "friends and family"-protected Facebook data or my "My contacts"-only LinkedIN data.

But what you put on public Facebook, LinkedIN or Google+ profiles is fair game IMHO.
I have to agree with this. If you put information up that is public it is fair game to whomever wants to look at it. Looking once or twice at your LinkedIn is hardly stalking, looking at it 100 times certainly would be.

It could be something as simple as the manager has the employees that work late night at the front desk verifying corporate rate customers, since they have nothing else to do at that time. Searching publicly available information seems rational, even though it creeps you out.