FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
Old May 21, 2012, 8:16 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm *G and also have UC membership, so the question is moot for myself. However, I did witness an incident at IAD yesterday which brought up an access question.

A pax had come in from Canada in Y and was flying onward to the west coast in domestic F. The club matron said that he couldn't get in with the domestic F BP.

Pax then argued he had an onward connection in C to Asia, but the matron (correctly) pointed out that that flight was on 5/23 and that it needed to be a flight for the current day (5/19). She asked if he had SQ *G credentials, which the guy would never answer.

He just kept insisting that on a "premium cabin" ticket, he should be allowed in. Matron kept insisting that domestic F didn't count. Eventually, not only did they call a supervisor, but they also had to call the cops (!!) to get rid of him.

My thought is that the matron was right, and that connecting from Canada in Y to domestic F does not grant a non-*G pax access to the club. However, I could see his point, too, particularly if his flight from Canada was on a CRJ or E145 and had no F seats, but he was on a paid C ticket from Canada.

My other thought is that the UC is not something to get arrested over! Some pre-wrapped cheese and crackers are simply not worth getting the cops involved. Oh, but it is ironic that a SQ flyer would be denied access to a UC, too...