FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanner
Old May 21, 2012, 12:07 am
Ottermatic

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by skidv25
If the metal detectors are "boarded up," what is happening to people traveling with small kids or parents traveling with infants? Traditionally, they have always been allowed the WTMD over the full body scanner. How does SFO handle this?
I can't speak for the international terminal, but in terminal 1, they'll remove the large poster board (or whatever it is) that's covering the WTMD to wave through families with children. Terminal 1 now has three MMWs in the normal part of the checkpoint and I think another MMW in the side room, so that's the only way to get the WTMD these days (or opting out, of course).

I've also had relatively decent opt out experiences at SFO. The staff is always professional and courteous. One night, going through T1, I had to opt out of the MMW, and the guy that was doing my pat down actually congratulated me. "I always opt out, too," he said, "and I work here!" I once even had a Tiger Woods lookalike when opting out going through the international G side, so be sure to keep an eye out for him. ;-)

Ottermatic