FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet another "AC has lost my business" thread
Old May 16, 2012, 9:47 pm
The Blue-Eyed Sheikh

Location: YYC; would like to return to living in SIN (or PER)
Programs: SQ KF, QFF
Yet another "AC has lost my business" thread

I was supposed to fly YYC-FRA-OTP on AC/LH on an S Fare class ticket this evening.

So, due to circumstances (somewhat) beyond my control, I arrived at YYC at 17:05, and AC844 to FRA had been closed, despite my not having checked baggage and 45 minutes remaining until take-off.

Fair enough - but I'm directed to the ticketing desk.

One of the ticketing agents goes to speak to security, while the other attempts to find alternate routings. At this point, I'm actually impressed with the service I'm getting.

Security won't budge, but the other agent has found space on an itinerary YYC-LHR-FRA-OTP.

I'm thinking I've lucked out.

But the YYC-LHR flight closes in five minutes, and the system won't allow the ticket to be assigned. Apparently the TA who booked the initial ticket has to "release the reservation" or something along those lines.

Minor panic, but I have the TA's phone number, and call her up. I pass the cell phone to the agent at the desk, and they talk. Apparently, the TA needs to call the AC help desk.

So I figure I'm SOL, and, sure enough, the YYC-LHR flight closes.

But the agent at the desk does a bit of poking around, and confirms there's space tomorrow on an itinerary YYC-YYZ-BOS-FRA-OTP, which will get me into OTP only one day late. She passes the details on to me, and tells me to give them to my TA when the reservation is released.

About 15 minutes later, my TA calls me, and proceeds to tell me that the AC help desk has directed her to tell me to call AC myself (and they've given her a number to give me, which turns out to be the main AC toll-free number).

And I do so.

After 30 minutes on hold, I'm about to lose my mind, but I remember that there's a number on the back of the AC E card, and, calling it, I'm speaking to a telephone agent withing 45 seconds.

The telephone agent, after looking up the booking, proceeds to inform me that, since the ticket was booked in the S fare bucket, I'm without recourse, and that my only option if I want to use the return half of the ticket is to book a one-way flight to OTP (of which I will get no credit for the missed flight).

The policy itself is irritating, but these are the rules you play by in booking a non-refundable fare, and I'd be prepared to chalk it up to the vagaries of fate.

Being strung along for an hour, however - I find it impossible to believe the telephone agent was the first person to be familiar with the fare policy - is what leads me to say that AC has lost my business.

I'll still fly them - the company I work for has an arrangement for discounts off fares with AC / LH, and I'm not senior enough (yet) to effect a change in that regard.

Personal flights, though - AC won't get another cent from me. I was targeting SE for 2013, but I'd rather not have status at all than give AC any of my money.

TB-ES