FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?
Old May 13, 2012, 9:35 pm
bouncingbug

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Redeeming on Air New Zealand for Tahiti/French Polynesia

Dear FTers,

I wanted to get your collective thoughts on the best way to use miles for French Polynesia. Specifically, I am going to Bora Bora.

I currently have award flights from NYC to PPT (via AKL) and from AKL to NYC. What I don't have are return flights from Moorea/PPT to BOB (Bora bora), and from PPT to AKL to close the loop.

I understand that Air New Zealand is the *A partner, but have not been able to get any award flights from PPT to AKL using my MP miles.

Long-winded way of asking this question, but is there better award availability if I book directly from Air New Zealand rather than United (I can transfer SPG points).

I was also wondering whether people know of anyway of redeeming inter-island flights using miles or points (AA/Delta/United, since I can convert using SPG). From expedia, it seems that the only airline flying interisland is Air Tahiti (not the same as Air Tahiti Nui). Anyone know of a way of redeeming miles/points with them or any other airline that serves interisland?

Thanks in advance!