FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?
Old May 13, 2012, 2:49 am
flying for gold elite

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I've heard many GAs and FAs give variations of their own "security protocols" for flights into IAD/DCA:

"Because of increased security measures for flights into our Nation's Capital, we cannot ____________."

Some of the "new" protocols include:
- allow passengers to have more than one carry-on
- switch seats after the door closes
- move from economy to economy plus
- allow you to use electronic devices during taxi, takeoff, or landing
- store laptops in the seat-back pockets
My mom had three small bags and a pillow on a flight from PDX a couple of weeks ago traveling in F on a PMUA 757. GA: "The FAA forbids you to step into the jetway with more than two carryons!" My mom put the pillow and small purse into the other two bags. I guess if they had a bus it would've been allowed since it's a jetway issue!

NRT-LAX on ANA I was in the back half of Y. When boarding seemed complete, but the door was still open I asked the FA if the seat across the aisle would remain open (there was a pair of adjacent seats). Her response, "Well even if it was US customs law forbids you from switching seats." That was definitely a new one. I stormed to the purser who actually had to call a GA on and cross off my bp seat number with the new one. This was literally one seat over, not Y+ or anything!

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Two years ago the ticket agent in the LAX RCC:

"Sir, you're on an international V fare and that is not upgradable. Only Y,B,M and H fares are upgradable with systermwides."

After telling her to call and verify her info she eventually paged me back to the desk and applied the upgrade saying:

"This must be a new change because I've been here for [I forget] years and that's never been possible."

On yesterday's flight I caught Jeffie Jeff talking about a 'seamless IT experience'.
Two years ago I had to call web support to change my flight in a weather waiver and I couldn't believe the conversation went something like ithis Agent: "Only Y and H fares are permitted for upgrades." Me: "Well actually it is has been B fares since the fare restructuring several years ago, and M fares for plats, and any other revenue fare is eligible for regular EUAs." Agent: "Alright, I see your point about B fares, but we have never done complimentary upgrades for other fares."