FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International (TATL/TPAC) OP-UP vs. SWU
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2012, 1:51 am
DHalltheway

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by rylan
It seems to be a little different (and easier) for some reason to get an SWU coded properly for international flights. They just have to active the priority waitlist and enter the SWU number into the PNR, and if it hasn't cleared by checkin then it should be automatically passed to the airport standby gate upgrade list. At this point, according to the SWU terms and Delta internal procedures, you are ahead of any non-rev upgrades or other operational upgrades.

In fact, from my experience if op-ups are needed the people on the SWU waitlist are usually given the upgrade without using the SWU.

As mentioned, you got hosed badly and I hope you report this.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On the day of departure, any remaining BE seats should be given to people on Y B M fares using SWUs. This does not require any particular inventory class and is definitely before OPUPs or NRSA. It is last seat availability. We were promised this when SWU terms were redefined a bit around the time of the merger and the DL ATL DO. It is not the option of the GA to decide to OPUP others first for convenience or to give the remaining BE seats to nonrevs. The OP should complain and insist on an investigation in the strongest possible terms.

Personally, I would have demanded a redcoat before boarding and been on the phone to the DM line as well as the Atlanta resolution line until they closed the boarding door.
Interesting. Thanks for the history lesson and insight.